Join EYA as a Peer Mentor
Are you looking to develop your environmental leadership skills?
Are you curious about environmental education and working with youth?
Then the Peer Mentors program is for you!
Peer Mentors work alongside experienced EYA staff to run our land-based education programs for high school-aged youth in Strathcona Community Gardens. You bring your experience and passion and we provide a half-day training, one-on-one mentorship with an EYA educator, and opportunities to practice facilitation and group leadership.
We ask that Peer Mentors commit to supporting one 10-11 weeks land-based program (4-hour sessions for a total of ~40 hours of volunteer time). Mentors must also attend a group training day. Ideally, we love to see Peer Mentors return for future programs!
Applications are accepted year-round, and at the moment, we are prioritizing applications for our Fall programs. Additionally, you can apply to be contacted for our future programs too! Applications are reviewed before every program season in February, May, and September.
As a Peer Mentor, you will:
- Deepen your knowledge of native plants and wildlife
- Learn about environmental education & facilitation
- Gain experience working with children and youth facing barriers
- Lead activities relevant to program content
- Mentor & support program participants
- Develop leadership & communication skills
- Facilitate basic activities (with support from your Program Coordinator)
- Help with program set-up & clean-up
- Take photos for EYA’s social media channels
- Help maintain wildlife habitat areas – weeding, watering, planting
- Gain volunteer hours & experience for your resume
- Position yourself for potential job opportunities (many EYA peer mentors have gone on to become paid EYA staff)
This program is open to youth ages 18-25, with exceptions on a case-by-case basis. At EYA, we lift up diversity in both humans and non-humans alike! We encourage and prioritize applications from individuals who identify as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour), LGBTQ2S+, and those facing other barriers.
This fall, we are looking for Peer Mentors for the programs below. Each program has a different focus, visit their pages to learn more about them:
- Land Guardians: Sep 22 – Nov 24 | Thursdays 10:00 – 3:00 | 10 Sessions
To apply, complete the online application HERE.
If you have any questions, please email our Senior Program Coordinator, Deandra at email@example.com or phone 604-689-4446.
COVID-19: EYA has policies in place to keep you and your family safe from COVID-19. Visit www.eya.ca/covid-19 for full details.