Join EYA as a Peer Mentor
Are you looking to develop your environmental leadership skills?
Are you curious about environmental education and working with youth?
Then the Peer Mentors program is for you!
Peer Mentors work alongside experienced EYA staff to run our land-based education programs for high school-aged youth in Strathcona Community Gardens. You bring your experience and passion and we provide a half-day training, one-on-one mentorship with an EYA educator, and opportunities to practice facilitation and group leadership.
We ask that Peer Mentors commit to supporting one 8-12 day land-based program (4-hour sessions for a total of ~40 hours of volunteer time). Mentors must also attend a group training day. Ideally, we love to see Peer Mentors return for future programs!
Applications are accepted year-round, and you can apply to be contacted for our future programs. Applications are reviewed before every program season in May, September, and February.
As a Peer Mentor, you will:
- Deepen your knowledge of native plants and wildlife
- Learn about environmental education & facilitation
- Gain experience working with children and youth facing barriers
- Lead activities relevant to program content
- Mentor & support program participants
- Develop leadership & communication skills
- Facilitate basic activities (with support from your Program Coordinator)
- Help with program set-up & clean-up
- Take photos for EYA’s social media channels
- Help maintain wildlife habitat areas – weeding, watering, planting
- Gain volunteer hours & experience for your resume
- Position yourself for potential job opportunities (many EYA peer mentors have gone on to become paid EYA staff)
This program is open to youth ages 18-25, with exceptions on a case-by-case basis. At EYA, we lift up diversity in both humans and non-humans alike! We encourage and prioritize applications from individuals who identify as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour), LGBTQ2S+, and those facing other barriers.
Our summer program dates are below:
- Seed Generation: June 11 – Aug 18; Saturdays June 11- June 25, Thursdays July 2 – Aug 18 | 11:00 – 3:00 | 11 Sessions
- Rewilding – Wetlands & Wildlife: June 12 – Aug 19; Sundays June 12 – June 26, Fridays July 8 – Aug 19 | 10:30 – 2:30 | 10 Sessions
- Rewilding – Wetlands & Wildlife: July 4 – July 27; Monday – Wednesday | 10:30 – 2:30 | 12 Sessions
- Plants & People: Aug 8 – 18; Monday – Thursday | 10:30 – 2:30 | 8 Sessions
To apply, complete the online application here.
If you have any questions, please email our Senior Program Coordinator, Deandra at email@example.com or phone 604-689-4446.
COVID-19: EYA has policies in place to keep you and your family safe from COVID-19. Visit www.eya.ca/covid-19 for full details.