Join the EYA Team as a Board Member
Position Available: Board Member, specializing in Fundraising Strategy and Fund Development
Environmental Youth Alliance (EYA) seeks a community leader with experience and expertise in fundraising and fund development—plus passion for the environment, sustainability initiatives, and youth education—to join the Board of Directors. We are looking for someone that is “connected” to the community, has professional experience in fund development and donor relations, and is able to develop a fundraising strategy and lead fundraising activities to support EYA’s mandate.
EYA is a non-profit charity that cultivates transformative nature experiences for children and youth in urban environments to foster community connectedness, build ecological leadership skills, and enhance their well-being. We work to engage and empower youth to create meaningful, positive action for our community and environmental health.
To learn more about EYA and our programming, please visit www.eya.ca.
- Attend Board meetings. The Board of Directors meets every 4-6 weeks and meetings typically last 2-3 hours.
- Participate in special events and meetings, typically two per year.
- Willingness to devote an average of 5-10 hours per month to EYA business above and beyond Board meetings, variable depending on the time of year.
- Fulfill a two-year term, which may be renewed (pending approval of the Board and EYA members at the AGM).
Specific Responsibilities for Fundraising Strategist
- Create a fundraising strategy and assume leadership in fund development.
- Provide expertise and advice to Board and staff in the area of fundraising and fund development.
- Create and chair a fund development team to develop and manage the fundraising strategy.
- Work with all Directors to determine their contribution and role in fundraising.
- Provide mentorship and support to EYA staff related to staff-led fundraising activities..
- Other activities suited to the individual’s skills and interests.
General Director Responsibilities
- Advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of EYA to support the organization’s mission.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by EYA’s mission, objectives, and programs.
- Remain up to date with relevant legislation and policies.
- Keep in touch with the general needs and concerns of EYA’s operations.
- Help communicate and promote EYA’s mission and programs to the community.
- Monitor organizational finances, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget, and financial resources and needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of EYA and formulate policies where needs arise.
- Financially support EYA through donor plan in a manner commensurate with your ability.
- Participate in EYA fundraising activities.
- Conduct periodic evaluations of EYA operations and programs with a view to improvement.
- Ensure succession planning for the Board of Directors.
- Professional expertise in fund development and donor relations.
- Experience in developing and implementing successful fundraising programs.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in areas of board governance, project management, writing, and communications is considered an asset.
- Previous board experience is considered an asset.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, submit a résumé and cover letter outlining your interest and experience to Eileen Jones, Secretary, EYA Board of Directors: eileenlaurajones at gmail dot com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.