Join our Team – Accepting Applications for Chair and Board Members
Environmental Youth Alliance (EYA) seeks a community leader with interest in organizational leadership—plus passion for the environment, sustainability initiatives, and youth education—to join the Board of Directors. We are looking for someone that has professional experience and personal interests related to youth and the environment and possesses a high level of administrative, organizational, and leadership skills. EYA is currently seeking a board member for our Board Chair position, and is also accepting candidates for Board Member at Large.
EYA is a non-profit charity that cultivates transformative nature experiences for children and youth in urban environments to foster community connectedness, build ecological leadership skills, and enhance their well-being. We work to engage and empower youth to create meaningful, positive action for our community and environmental health.
- Attend Board meetings. The Board of Directors meets every 4-6 weeks and meetings typically last 2-3 hours.
- Participate in special events and meetings, typically two per year.
- Willingness to devote an average of 5-10 hours per month to EYA business above and beyond Board meetings, variable depending on the time of year.
- Fulfill a two-year term, which may be renewed (pending approval of the Board and EYA members at the AGM).
- Chair Board meetings in accordance with EYA’s policies and procedures.
Specific Responsibilities for Board Chair
- Is a member of the Board and has all the general responsibilities of a Director.
- Chairs meetings of the Board after developing the agenda with the Executive Director.
- Provides leadership to the Board of Directors, who sets policy and to whom the managers are accountable.
- Encourages Board’s role in strategic planning.
- Appoints the chairpersons of committees, in consultation with other Board members.
- Serves ex officio as a member of committees and attends their meetings when invited.
- Helps guide and mediate Board actions with respect to organizational priorities and governance concerns.
- Reviews with the manager or board liaison any issues of concern to the Board.
- Plays a leading role in fundraising activities.
- Plays lead role in formally evaluating the performance of the managers and informally evaluates the effectiveness of the Board members.
- Evaluates annually the performance of the organization in achieving its mission.
- Performs other responsibilities assigned by the Board.
General Director Responsibilities
- Advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of EYA to support the organization’s mission.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by EYA’s mission, objectives, and programs.
- Remain up to date with relevant legislation and policies.
- Keep in touch with the general needs and concerns of EYA’s operations.
- Help communicate and promote EYA’s mission and programs to the community.
- Monitor organizational finances, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget, and financial resources and needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of EYA and formulate policies where needs arise.
- Financially support EYA through donor plan in a manner commensurate with your ability.
- Participate in EYA fundraising activities.
- Conduct periodic evaluations of EYA operations and programs with a view to improvement.
- Ensure succession planning for the Board of Directors.
- A high level of administrative, organizational, and leadership skills.
- Experience in event planning, business administration, and facilitation an asset.
- Knowledgeable of board governance and previous board experience is required (or considered an asset for Board Members at Large).
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in areas of project management, writing, and communications is considered an asset.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, submit a résumé and cover letter outlining your interest and experience to Nelson Lamb, EYA Board of Directors: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.